Monday, December 28, 2009

Rabbit News & Winter Break

I apologize for the lack of rabbit news I've given lately -- When I see my rabbits once or twice every three months, it makes it hard to give updates!!!

I guess the news is... I can't sell out. It's been too frustruating trying to deal with the whole issue so I've deciced to "ride out the wave". No matter how long this dry spell is, or how rough things get, I can't give up on these Mini Lops; i've worked far too hard on them.

At any rate, I sold my BEW project. It made me very sad, but it was the right thing to do, for the project. I am down to 14 rabbits:

Bucks:
  • Stitch - retired
  • Dominic - For Sale
  • Theodore
  • Henry
  • Money Maker - For Sale
  • Matthew - For Sale

Does:

  • Maid Dignified
  • Obnoxious
  • Kristie
  • Melinda
  • Rylee (available after litter)
  • Brianna
  • Lila - For Sale
  • Tiffany - For Sale

I bred Rylee to Stitch on the 22nd, because I found myself needing to breed a doe in order to consider myself "still a rabbit breeder". Plus, Stitch is the closest buck I own to carrying chocolate, I don't want to purchase or loan a chocolate or carrier buck unless I have to. I still haven't found one I've liked.

With time, I will be selling the others as well. I would like to breed those does, to the bucks I have for sale. I do want replacements out of them.

With a positive note, I have found a cull buyer. Not a local one, but it will work until I can find something more permanent. I have it worked out, that Rylee's litter will just be ready to sort through by Spring Break. That seems so far away, but in reality, it's right around the corner in a college student's life.

My break has gone well. I left early from Corvallis to head home, and I've been here about a week. I am leaving on Friday. I *need* to leave sooner, but I *need* to spend time at home... I have a lot of stuff to get done still! The auto-water system gave us some trouble during the freeze, it's not broken but it got air in the system so I just shut it off and went to bottles for a few days. With the holidays & friends & family I needed something I knew would work.

Overall, 2009 has been a rough year for the rabbits. I am hoping 2010 will lift my spirits and bring some new changes & improvements, even if they are slow. I am ready for another term of college.... I am taking 18 credits (a load and a half...) amongst two planned trips already, my extra-curricular activities, and a job... I am hoping for good to come out of it. Though it is a load of classes, I only have 10-13 "real" credits, because the other classes are easy/or lecture classes.
Enough to keep me on my toes!

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: